MONTFORT BROTHERS OF ST. GABRIEL
Montfort Brothers of St. Gabriel is a religious Society founded bySt. Louis Marie De Montfort in France in the year 1705. The members of the Socity are engaged in the mission of education and social empowerment initiatives in over 35 countries. As a Society it proudly shares the common philosophy and teaching methods of the Catholic Church in general, while drawing on its rich educational experiences and traditions, inherited as a society over the last three hundred years.
In India, divided into seven Provinces, Montfort Brothers have their presence in almost all the States, actively participating in diverse fields of apostolate that include formal and non-formal technical and academic education, education, care and rehabilitation of the physically and mentally challenged persons; the street children and the orphans; the care of elderly people; empowerment of women and the marginalized, adoption and up-liftment programmes aimed at the downtrodden in rural and urban areas.
In the field of education apostolate, the primary option of the Montfort Brothers is in favour of the educationally and economically less favoured, giving priority to faith and value formation in the young. Montfort Brothers actively collaborate with the concerted action of educators, parents and other professional bodies who also work in the same fields for the cultural, social and technical development of the country.
Holistic approach to education is our forte as they firmly believe that a young person learns from his / her whole school experiences. Hence a whole lot of programmes and an ideal environment is set for the young in all their educational institutions.
HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL
St. John’s Hr.Sec.School is a Catholic Institution managed by the Montfort Brothers of St. Gabriel. It is affiliated to Mizoram Board of School Education. The school was established in the year 1959 by Rev. Fr. Jean Vezina, CSC of the Holy Cross Missionaries. The School was named St. John’s High School in honour of Pope john XXIII who had been elected a few months earlier. “Love one another” (John 15:12 was chosen as its motto. It was affiliated to the Board of Secondary Education, Assam, in 1962. In 1968 the Holy Cross Missionaries handed over the school to the Diocese of Silchar. The Bishop of Silchar Rt. Rev. Denzil D’Souza handed over the school to the Montfort Brothers of St.Gabriel in the year 1975. In 1986 the School was granted Deficit Status. The school was raised to Higher Secondary in 1996 with Science and Arts streams.